Tuesday, July 03, 2007

summer food

ice cream face,
like Maggie is modelling for you-
that's what summer is all about
popsicles,
slurpees,
bbq,
salads.
oh, speaking of salads, made a really good one today- I got the recipe from Heather White's blog
( reading her blog makes me a little crazy- she is a bit ooc- out of control- in my opinion anyways, but she has some good recipies and cute craft ideas) anyways, I will share it with you in case you don't want to go look for it there!
it is- Santa Rosa Salad
1 box long grain wild rice- I just used brown rice, because I couldn't find any wild rice, and it was still yummy)
3 chicken breasts- cooked and diced ( I used some left over bbq chicken)
4 green onions- diced
1 red bell pepper- diced
3 oz snow peas - ends cut off, and cut into 1/3's
1-2 avacado's- diced
1/2-1c chopped pecans

cook rice as directed, and cool. combine all the above ingredients and refrigerate over night. - I did it all in the morning, and it was still good.

Dressing-
2 cloves garlic- diced
1T dijon mustart
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
1/3c vegetable oil
1/3 c seasoned rice vinegar
combine in blender and refrigerate over night.
next day, (or that afternoon, in my case) pour dressing over salad, mix well, refrigerate 2-4 hours before serving.
immediately before serving add avacado and pecans.

we had the missionaries over for dinner, and they really liked it. it was really good, but of course my kids wouldn't touch it. turkeys!

I might have to find some more great salad recipes, it is supposed to get hotter later this week. if you are looking for me, I will be sharing the kiddy pool with my three littles in the back yard. nice!

2 comments:

Itworksforbobbi said...

Oooh, I saw that recipe on Heather's blog, but I haven't tried it. Maybe I will. BTW - I LERVE you Canada day cupcakes. You are too fun!

Itworksforbobbi said...

I mean - your Canada Day ice cream cones - It's too late tonight!