Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I want a raise

do you ever feel like the maid?
the over worked, and severely underpaid maid?
why am I the only one in this house who ever unloads the dishwasher?
and if I don't unload it, then the dishes are piled up beside the sink, and I have to unload and load. at least if I unload it, the kids can load their own dishes- well, they can, but they don't always do it.
and laundry- don't get me started! the boys were complaining this morning that they had no clean socks. well. I went on a rampage. -if you put your socks in the dirty clothes, I do wash them, and usually even put them in your drawers. maybe they should check all their drawers since usually, they just throw all their clean clothes together into one drawer, no matter what was in the pile.
I guess it isn't really so bad.
the kids do do their one job each day. and sadly that is asking alot.
how do you teach kids to take responsibility for their own stuff, and some of the family stuff around the house? I really need to get my kids to be helpful, and happy to help, and not complaining that they do all the work around here-
because, really,
we all know who really does all the work around here-
right?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Amen sister!!! Motherhood truly is a non-profit organization in which we work. Non-profit in the monetary sense. However, somedays there is a peek at what the profits are......sure wish we could "bank" those rare moments into an account and withdraw at a moments notice! Hang in there girl.....someday you'll only be doing the dishes and laundry for two. That's what I keep reminding myself anyway. Only 10 more years to go (yikes! A decade sure still sounds looooong!)
P.S. How are you related to the Livingstone's? I am Jason's cousin. Are you a sister or cousin?

Shelley said...

I wish I had the answers for you. I also wish I knew how to get my roommates to help with cleaning. Yesterday I vacuumed the entire apartment and scrubbed the bathroom for like the 10th time in a row. Sheesh. When you figure it out, let me know!

Andrea said...

I'll send you a link to some great articles on getting kids to help with the work.
Not sure if it really works since mine our still young, so you'll have to let me know.
I do know you should start young though.

kaylani said...

ok, now I'm just curious. Who is Lynn? Jason's cousin would be my cousin, and I can't think of who she would be!

Lynn said...

Well then "Hi" Kaylani. My e-mail is on my profile. E-mail me and I will help make a connection as to who we are.

Katherine said...

Oh, yeah, do I know what you're talking about! Sometimes I look at my sons and just wonder what it will take to get them in the habit of helping all the time - without me having to ask them first. I have made some progress on the laundry front. Oldest son now does his laundry - which means he takes action once he has nothing clean to wear. Still, that is progress! I appreciate his growing awareness of what it takes to have clean clothes to wear - that it takes work. Still have to get him up to speed on dirty dishes and that the cupboards don't just magically provide food.

Take courage that you're not alone. Hard part is that it takes time to train them into helping. Sorry, I don't know how to speed up the process. LOL