Friday, October 17, 2008

what a dump.

As soon as I saw this-I knew it was going to be a good field trip! we went to the dump. this is a huge pile of metal waiting to be recycled.
this is a huge mountain of recyclables waiting to be recycled. apparently they are building a new building to sort this in, so it will be delt with soon.
this is a river of computers and tv's. that is what our tour guide told us. it was a few kilometers wide. we got to see the place where the workers take them apart and sort out all the pieces for further recycling, or to be sold to other places and reused.
and this was the land fill. crazy. there was a Brick truck that dumped off all of those mattresses and boxsprings. I hope they didn't advertise that they would recycle them, because they definitely weren't being recycled. I believe that truck also dumped off a few couches and chairs- Jed and I watched a bulldozer completely smush one of the chairs. crazy amount of garbage and waste, but I was thoroughly impressed with the amount that the city is trying to recycle and reuse. the landfill will be full in June. then the city will be trucking the garbage to a landfill farther away, until a new facility is built that will do so much sorting and recycling that the actual amount of waste will be very small.
I learned a lot on this field trip! made me want to compost and recycle more. Reduce, reuse and recycle. for sure.





1 comment:

Lynn said...

Pictures SURE tell a thousand words, eh? Thanks for sharing those!

It makes me want to recycle even more than we do. What a world we live in.

When I heard about all the TV's that were being thrown out in the US since they went completely digital, it just made me sick to think of where that all might be going. Sad. : (